Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TonyM TonyM is offline

Default Sage Advice

Thanks Darrell, I'll take a look at their site.
Tony Manella

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
I have had great service and results from Royce Sales in Ontario. They have
a full range of sanding products and stand behind their products. No
affiliation et. etc. but they do have some of my cash :-)
http://store.sandpaper.ca/catalogue/default.php

---
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS
http://aroundthewoods.com
http://roundopinions.blogspot.com

"robo hippy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have used the Klingspoor red and white aluminum oxide, and the
Norton 3x, and the yellow, the wave,and just about everything else.
Vinces discs are 2 3/8, and 3 3/8 inch disce, and the 3 inch discs
were $10 per 50, but I think the prices went up a bit. Really, they
are better than anything I have ever used. Again, I am a happy
customer.
robo hippy

On Apr 30, 6:23 am, "TonyM" tonym.le"at"comcast.net wrote:
Good original post and responses. I've come to love Norton's 3x Premium
paper. Seems to be graded very well compared to the Klingspor junk I
used
to use and it does last a long time and resists clogging. I agree that
sandpaper is the last place a woodturner should cheap out.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners

"charlieb" wrote in message

Some sage advice from a member of the turning club
of which I am a member -

IF YOU'RE GOING TO SAND, USE SANDPAPER AS IF IT'S FREE.

Now think about how you use sandpaper.

Do you pay a bit more to get very uniform abrasive
particle sizes? Are you even aware of the different
grades of sandpaper, not "grits", but the degree of
uniformity of the particle sizes for a specific grit?
Doesn't take many particles of "190 grit" in your
"200 grit" paper to show.

When the piece of sandpaper you're sanding with
starts "loading up", do you chuck it and grab a
new one? Or do you try and wring every bit of
abrassive out of each piece 'til it stops cutting
and starts burnishing - or worse yet - burning?

If you've gotten to "320" and notice a ding you
missed, will you go back to 180 or even 150 to
get it out - or hope your finish will hide it?

Like all other forms of woodworking (OK so
maybe chainsaw carving is an exception), if
you're going to do a piece, start to finish,
EVERY step along the way will show in the
finished piece. If you have to sand, remeber
"Penny Wise, Pound Foolish"? Well that might
be another way of putting

IF YOU'RE GOING TO SAND, USE SANDPAPER AS IF IT'S FREE.

You'll be amazed at the finsih you can get
BEFORE you "apply a finish" - IF you take
this sage advice to heart.

Oh, and if "Abralon" doesn't mean anything to you
you might look into it. You'd be amazed how smooth
and shiny you can get a piece of wood.

charlie b