Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Where does varnish go?

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
Leon wrote:
Oddly, insects like the stuff. I built a porch swing out of white Oak,
put Spar Varnish on it and "Wasps" devoured the finish.

So what was your solution?

Lew

This was actually for a customer. I told them I did not guarantee the
finish against mother natures creatures.
Very strange, they would eat the finish completely off in one spot and
expand that spot. It took about 1 year for the finish to be completely
removed.

Since the finish was on a bench they chose to not spray repellents to defend
the bench.

No solution. But like any outdoor clear finish, it should have been
reapplied every few years although this finish was not lasting that long.