Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] holopper4@nomail.com is offline

Default Electrical: working with 1/0 SER cable

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 16:21:27 GMT, Wayne Whitney
wrote:

Hello,

I need to some work with 1/0 Al SER cable but haven't dealt with
anything so large before. I assume careful use of a utility knife
will be adequate for removing the exterior sheathing. For cutting
conductors I usually use Klein Tools 1412, but it says "Cut Copper
Only" and seems a little small. What is recommended? And how about
stripping the 1/0?

Thanks, Wayne

If you mean Triplex, you DO NOT want to cut the rigid steel (center
conductor) on the bare conductor with any sort of wire cutter. I
destroyed an expensive wire cutter the first time I tried to cut that
stuff. Hacksaw blades dont hold up either. The teeth are gone in
seconds. A bolt cutter is said to work, but it took a chunk out of the
cutting edge on mine too. Although it was not a top of the line
quality tool. So far, grinding it with an angle grinder or any other
grinder seems to be the only way to do it without wrecking tools or
fighting with it. I dont know what kind of steel they use on those
center conductors, but its extremely hard, and must be some sort of
stainless stell too, because they dont rust or corrode, especially
since they are encased in aluminum wire.