Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Fumigating old boards

On Apr 30, 2:00 pm, CChouse wrote:
I have an old house I will soon be dismantling and rebuilding. Prior
to reinstalling the floorboards and most of the other wood I will
reuse, I'd like to have the boards steam cleaned and fumigated to kill
any bugs that may be in the wood and remove old (probably lead based)
paint. Can anyone suggest a company that specializes in this. The
house is located in the Massachusetts Cape Cod area.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Unless there's active sign of infestation, you're wasting your time
and money and it won't do any good about paint removal anyway. What
is the wood (species and type of material/dimensions, etc.)? How much
of it is there? How old is "old"? Is it of architectural or other
significance or "just a house"? Knowing some more might make for
other ideas of proceeding.

I've not done an entire house at a time, but have done multiple houses
(as in 25+ altogether) restorations in pre- and shortly post- (Civil)
war era houses in VA. Good quality finish lumber and trim was hand
stripped and sanded. Structural timbers and framing lumber were
either just used as is w/ minimal effort or, on occasion, as someone
else noted, cleaned up and run through planer to true it to consistent
dimensions.