Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default Screwgun Recommendation

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to Mike Dobony :

"DanG" wrote in message
If you really like the Skil brand gun you have, try here for the part:
http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-bin/noframes.cgi/skil/6906_TYPE_2

That has every part of the gun EXCEPT the specialized tool holder. If I
had
a metal lathe and carbide cutting tip I could turn down the shaft of a
DeWalt bit holder (http://www.grizzly.com/products/h4639) and make it
work.
The problem is that the seal at the end of the drill portion is smaller
than
a standard tool holder. Just above the hex shank I need the holder
turned
down from about 0.450" to 0.370" for about 0.650", a simple operation IF
had a metal lathe. I can find lots of bit holders that are the right
length, but they are too thick to fit in the gun.

Something like that you can probably do while holding the bit
in a drill against a grinding wheel and go slowly, dip the end
in water frequently.

If you can get a piece of hardened rod down .070+-.005 on the full length of
0.650" on such a setup AND keep it round you are a master machinist! And
NOT water, but cutting oil or coolant, NEVER water! You are NOT a master
machinist!

In other cases, you might be able to drive the shank out
of the body far enough to work using a flat end punch and
a decent hammer. If it falls out, glue it back in with
epoxy.

The wall is too thin on that type of bit holder. It must be a single piece
of metal to be able to machine it to those dimensions and still last.

Aha - look half way down http://www.wihatools.com/700_BitHolders.htm

There I am with the same thing as the DeWalt, PLUS shipping and handling!
From the picture I can tell that the diameter is too large!

there you go.
--
Chris Lewis,