Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT cutting off water for landlord/tenant

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:29:49 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

clipped

I also stopped meeting or at least remembering neighbors and I know a
lot of my favorite people moved away. But I found tonight that one of
the nicest people, who I get along with enough to call her a friend,
was on the board most of the time I wasn't. I'm going to ask her
about this.

Monthly meetings in a HOA of that size are likely a waste of time,

I guess so, but under the current system, I think the president is too
unchecked. Of course she was unchecked under the monthly system too,
but we found out about it sooner.

unless the board members like ****ing contests over rules violations or
adding amenities. If you don't go to meetings and/or take your turn at
being a board member, you are part of the problem )

I don't think that people have a duty to either go to meetings or be
on the board. Those who do serve on the board have a duty to do their
jobs right, if it doesnt' require excessive time. Most chores require
about the amount of time one would expect.

The best solution is to acquaint yourself with owners who might be
willing to be on the board and recognize the function as a business
operation, not an opportunity to control everyone and everything. In
Fl., board members can be PERSONALLY liable for ignoring their fiduciary
DUTY as board member! If you have years and years of delinquent water
bills, the board has been negligent...it is their duty to collect funds
owed to the association.

We have never stopped trying. We have a lawyer, who is admitted to
the bar and empowered to go after them. So the Board has not been
negligent. If anything, I think they are too invested in getting the
money back. Maybe a couple have pressing financial needs, but I think
it is more their personalities.