Posted to alt.home.repair
jJim McLaughlin jJim McLaughlin is offline

Default Receptacle and plug

Herb and Eneva wrote:
I have a gas powered golf cart that is seldom used and the starting
battery is usualy dead. I would like to install a receptacle on the side
of the cart with wires going to the battery so I can plug in a trickle
charger and will not have to lift the seat and hook up various leads. If
I can keep the trickle charger plugged in then the battery should stay
charged. Do y`all think this is practical? What size wire
should I use? TIA Herb

Trickle charger. Easy to do. 16 ga wire is fine.

DO NO UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE THE TYPICAL HOUSEHOLD SOCKET OR PLUG
IN YOUR WIRING.!

You'll find everything you need at a local NAPA or whatever auto parts
store. Spring for short rolls of 16 GA stranded wire in red and black.
Red positive, black negative., to keep your wiring simple. Get a
polarized plug and socket so you don't accidently screw up polarity on
your connections. There are literally dozens of various styles of low
voltage DC stuff out there that will handle the 2 amps or so a trickle
charger will putut. Let an auto parts person at a real auto parts store
(*not Walmart or its equivalent*) fix you up.