Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default How in the heck do I hang things in a 1920's building?!?

If you do a lot of re-arranging, you might get a "pro" (or do some homework)
and install a "picture rail" around the perimeter of the room. Once
installed, you can hand "stuff" from it without worrying about the walls.

For curtains: If the existing trim doesn't provide a sufficient base,
extend that trim with properly installed boards which are fastened directly
into the wall framing. You can paint the board the same color as the wall
or finish them to match the existing trim. But you then have a good base
to install curtain hardware without fear of destroying your wall.

Modern "wall board" is pretty forgiving and can often hold 20 to 40 lbs with
just a plastic anchor. But OLD "old style" lath and plaster is a problem
as often the lath has pulled away from the plaster. When you drill this
stuff you have to be VERY careful and SLOW.

"missykrissy66" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello there! I am a young female that is NOT anything close to a
handyman, my man is a computer geek (even LESS handy), and I need
help! I want to hang pictures as well as heavy curtains/rods and
surround speakers in my place but everytime I try I make a huge hole.
I have some anchors that the maitenence man gave to me, a decent drill
and an wide array of different screw/nails/etc. and a hammer. HOW IN
THE HECK DO I HANG THIS CRAP? Please-HELP ME!

Thanks!
Krissy