Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Screwgun Recommendation

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:53:41 GMT, yourname wrote:

Don't machine shops do that sort of thing for people who hire them?

Not if they can get away with out

So, the OP should go there and only be willing to pay a reasonable
price, and see if they'll do it. You don't get anywhere if you don't
ask. He had sense enough to ask this ng for ideas. He should ask a
mahcine shop guy.

If it is really just one setup and one operation, how much would they
charge?

This was partly rhetorical. A guy who isn't busy or wants to be a
nice guy will charge what he thinks it is worth to the customer if he
won't feel put upon doing so.

I have a 1/4 million in capital equipment, how much should I charge?

Welll you shouldn't charge 10,000 dollars. You can't expect to make a
year's interest in 10 or 20 minutes.

Seriously, unless you have a friend.......

If you have all this machinery, you don't go to other machine shops
and you only know how much you would charge. I've always assumed that
things I never bought before cost a lot of money, and I'm often wrong.
This included foam rubber, lucite, and welding. The welding guys have
thousands of dollars of equipement and a whole shop they own or rent
and both of them wanted very little to do a welding job that took at
least 20 minutes when one did it. (I priced the welding at one shop
next to the place I expected to order the part, but when the time came
had it done near where I live.)

I think they

have metal lathes!

I bumped into a machine shop around here and auto parts stores have
names, and the yellow pages.
--