Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Arthur Shapiro Arthur Shapiro is offline

Default In-house visit by a "Rainbow vacuum" salesperson

In article , Ignoramus32056 wrote:
We had a visit by a saleswoman who was trying to sell us a $2,000
"Rainbow cleaning system".

(metalworking group removed due to irrelevancy)

Despite the sales practices, the fact remains that the Rainbow is a pretty
good vacuum, if not particularly frugal. I've had mine since 1978. Had the
motor replaced once (don't EVER leave it for prolonged periods with the tank
filled, due to evaporative corrosion) and recently had the motor and bearings
overhauled due to normal age-related issues. One lives with the minor hassle
of dealing with the tank - I just dump it into an old sieve and toss the crud
into the kitchen trashcan. I have no complaints with the longevity,
reliability, and performance. Obviously paying the door-to-door price is
preposterous. I got mine for something like $300 or $350 as a model closeout
at a retail establishment, which even in 1978 wasn't a horribly shocking sum.

It's an unusual niche product which performs well.

Art