Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solid Pour Foundation

"Charles Pisano" wrote in message
They used rebar in this home as they do in all of their homes. The
builder has a very good local reputation. And in this development is the
biggest builder by far.

Out of curiosity, I checked how the warranty addresses these types of
cracks. And it jives with what J A said above. Minor cracks are common
in the floor and walls of solid pour construction.

Up to 1/8 inch is ok in solid pour walls. Above that and a claim should
be filed. And up to 3/32 in floors with no more than 1/4 inch vertical.
As I said, I'll make a half of a big deal out of it before my bumper to
bumper is up. But these are no where near that size.

The warranty says if they are above those sizes, they surface repair
them unless of course they affect the structural soundness.

I would never retain an attorney or make a big deal out of something
like this (especially based on someone's vague post) unless I researched
several sources.

But I must admit I thought solid pour was infallable..

I would not be passive about this. The fact that the builder has a
"Foundation cracks" clause in his contract just means that he is covering
himself from poor workmanship from his low bid subcontractors. Your
original post said that the crack goes through from inside to the outside
for the length of the wall. That does not sound normal to me. It sounds as
though you now have a two piece foundation wall. You have no idea what that
crack will be like in five years and don't count on that 10 year home
warranty to give you satisfaction. You'd better read that carefully as they
are mostly used as a sales tool and not for customer satisfaction. If I was
looking at your house to buy and saw a crack the way you describe I would
walk away. Wouldn't you?

Take a walk around the neighborhood and talk to some of your neighbors about
cracks in their foundations.