Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Ripping miter cuts

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
et...

Using a left tilt saw, when ripping long miter cuts ( 36" ) do you use the
fence on the left of the blade or the right and why?

I find that when I use the fence on the right I have a hard time keeping
the stock against the fence, even with hold downs and push sticks it seems
that the stock wants to ride up the tilted blade.

I have not tried it with the fence on the left - for some reason it just
doesn't look safe to me and I like my fingers.

Considering getting a good large chamfer bit that will do a 45 miter on
4/4 stock.

Any thoughts on that?

Assuming you are really talking about cutting bevel cuts rather than miter
cuts, your safer bet is to have the fence on the right side of the left tilt
blade when the blade is tilted.

If the wood climbs up on the blade but is not trapped it has little chance
of coming back at you with any force. Your real concern as you have
mentioned is when a piece of wood becomes trapped between the blade and a
stationary surface.

If the wood is not perfectly flat or straight making a bevel cut is more
difficult. A feather board even with, but not past the very front of the
cutting edge of the blade will help, but never put the feather board farther
back than the front of the blade where it comes up from the table surface.
Farther back increases the chance of a kick back.