Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Default Ripping miter cuts

On Apr 30, 10:01 am, "Vic Baron" wrote:
Using a left tilt saw, when ripping long miter cuts ( 36" ) do you use the
fence on the left of the blade or the right and why?

I find that when I use the fence on the right I have a hard time keeping the
stock against the fence, even with hold downs and push sticks it seems that
the stock wants to ride up the tilted blade.

I have not tried it with the fence on the left - for some reason it just
doesn't look safe to me and I like my fingers.

Considering getting a good large chamfer bit that will do a 45 miter on 4/4
stock.

Any thoughts on that?

Vic

--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't

The thought you have regarding "not looking safe" should be heeded.
You might check fence alignment for the ride up thing that's
happening, and use a featherboard? Tom