Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Running an extractor fan for long periods (damp cellar)?

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:24:37 +0100, Adam Funk
mused:

I have a damp cellar with some ventilation (air bricks to the outside)
but not enough, so I'm planning to mount an extractor fan in one of
the air brick recesses, then run it as much of the time as necessary
(controlled by a timer) to dry out the cellar.

I'll probably run it mainly at night in case the noise is annoying in
the living room.

Does anyone have any "experimental results" with something like this?
Any tips or suggestions?

Will an extractor fan wear out quickly if it's run for a long period
every night?

I'd have thought a dehumidifier would be a better choice.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Oh for a decent cellar. Why don't modern houses have them - then we could
put the car in the garage. Cellars are ideal places for boilers - who
thought that putting them is a small kitchen was a good idea??