Posted to alt.home.repair
HotRdd HotRdd is offline

Default Can this really work? - Stump Removal

I've posted this several times already. REmoving the stump is an afternoon
of drinking beer. SERIOUS. Find one spot that is easy to dig around the
stump and dig it down as far as you like, then take a pressure washer or
hose and wash the dirt around the stumpo into that hole. Dig the hole out
again. Repeat until the stump is clean and dirt free. Now grab the chain saw
and cut. I've removed several this way.

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
See link for the suggestion.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...d36071c9ae06be

I sort of wish I'd left the stump a little longer and bought a winch, but
the thought of the chain whizzing past my head or damaging the anchor tree
did not turn me on. So I decided to go the digging out root (ha-ha). This
is looking like a 10+ hour job including the shed hole, only two hours
invested so far. Although I'm nowhere near exposing enough of the stump to
get under the tree. It's been insert shovel, use grub-axe to break roots,
remove half a shovel of dirt. I have to remove about 3 cubic yards for the
shed hole and I've only move about .5 yards so far. The stump is now too
short to winch it out, but some pressure might help me expose the roots to
help with the excavation?

Trees are two spruce trees about 8" in diameter, but I suspect they share
a common root. Site is not accessible by vehicle, dynamite is not an
option, waiting is not an option. The stump is about 16" above ground and
must be excavated to 10" below grade. Possible anchor tree is a Mountain
Ash about 12" in diameter.