Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default Screwgun Recommendation

"mm" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 14:03:47 GMT, "Mike Dobony"
wrote:

"DanG" wrote in message
If you really like the Skil brand gun you have, try here for the part:
http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-bin/noframes.cgi/skil/6906_TYPE_2

That has every part of the gun EXCEPT the specialized tool holder. If I
had
a metal lathe and carbide cutting tip I could turn down the shaft of a
DeWalt bit holder (http://www.grizzly.com/products/h4639) and make it
work.
The problem is that the seal at the end of the drill portion is smaller
than
a standard tool holder. Just above the hex shank I need the holder turned
down from about 0.450" to 0.370" for about 0.650", a simple operation IF I
had a metal lathe. I can find lots of bit holders that are the right
length, but they are too thick to fit in the gun.

Don't machine shops do that sort of thing for people who hire them?

If it is really just one setup and one operation, how much would they
charge?

I think they have metal lathes!

I bumped into a machine shop around here and auto parts stores have
names, and the yellow pages.

Finding a reputable one who will do a small job like this and not charge
half the price of a new gun is difficult. The charge for setup is more than
the cost of the machining. What I need to find is more of a hobbist, not a
business.