Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Best clear finish for outdoor wood?

Larry wrote in news:46321603$0$20577$3406c2d1
@news.ncia.net:

Al Bundy wrote:

...snip

DO NOT USE SIKKINS!!! It is pure ****. Unless it's recoated every
couple of years it peels.
Sorry you have had such a bad experience with Sikkens. I've been
using it here on an 8000 sq. ft. home and my results have been
excellent.

Maybe that's it. My house was too small. Just what was the purpose of
mentioning outrageous sf of your home anyway?

Simply to indicate that the product was used over large areas. My home
is hardly a McMansion and, since I built most of it myself,

Kudos to ya on that one, seriously!

doesn't
represent a large amount of money. What was the purpose of your using
the obscenity quoted above (and used with others sprinkled liberally
throughout your post)?

Guess it's just the way I yak in certain arenas on certain subjects. Still
mild compared to much of the crap on TV these days and that damn hip-hop.
Used to be the word "sucks" in media meant fines/jailtime.

Not directed at you personally. Sorry you took it that way.

Cetol rings a bell. It still peeled. The marketing at the time was
recoating was only necessary like every 5 yrs or so if I recall some 2
decades ago. The marketing was also hyping up it was used in
Sweeden/Norway or something. What the hell was so special about
Sweeden/Norway I have no idea. I mean we get nasty winters of up to 30
below.

I think the reason they mention Sweden and Norway is because the
climates in both of those countries tends to be extreme. They get
winters in excess of -30 Fahrenheit. For that matter, so do we here in
Colebrook, NH. I've seen -46 degrees F.

My experience differs from yours, that's all.

Yep. Your experience is more current so maybe more representative of the
current product. OP will probably give it more weight in the final
decision.

...snip