Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default loft conversion

Thomarse wrote:

Im very sorry in advance for the vagueness of this question but I do
just want a very ball part figure.

Tis what you will get ;-)

I have a 2 bed terrace and I am considering converting the attic into
1 bedroom. The majority of the work I can do myself however would
just like to know what you think a rough figure for putting in 1 domer
style window and a staircase.

Doing it yourself or having these bits done?

The materials for a dormer will be say £2k - depends on if this is a
pretty road facing one with a tiled bonnet roof, or a less attractive
flat roof jobbie. Just doing the dormer ought to take a builder no
longer than a few days, especially if they are not having to actually
finish the interior or make good. So say £4K as a ballpark, perhaps £5k
with scaffolding.

Stairs, again much depends on type. You can make most flights (even
complex jobbies with quarter winders) for a couple of hundred in
materials. If you have a set made to order then expect to pay £600 -
£1000. Ballustrading will cost extra. Say two to three days to fit, so
you can probably extrapolate a typical cost from there.

Here is a set I did earlier, total cost probably about £400ish but that
included redoing the ballustrade on the other flight to match the new ones

http://www.internode.co.uk/loft/stairs.htm

If you have a builder do a full loft conversion, then I would expect the
minimum entry level price is going to be £25K to get you an undecorated
shell on a basic one room conversion.

--
Cheers,

John.