Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Can this really work? - Stump Removal

On Apr 28, 10:49 pm, "Bill Stock" wrote:
See link for the suggestion.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...d36071c9ae06be

I sort of wish I'd left the stump a little longer and bought a winch, but
the thought of the chain whizzing past my head or damaging the anchor tree
did not turn me on. So I decided to go the digging out root (ha-ha).

ha-ha is right. Digging up by hand is an old-fashioned job to say it
politely. Digging can get old fast depending on how much you are
paid, ha-ha. I use a skidsteer to dig up my stumps and even with a
heavy machine it can be a tough job. Patience is your friend. When
you get tired or frustrated, take a break. The stump will be there
when you get back.

I have finally acheived the confidence that I can remove any stump. I
admit that I have a decent machine but even so....I don't try to pop
the stump out until several of the larger roots have been completely
severed. You also have to actually dig underneath the stump to lift
it or jack it out. Only when you find the bottom of the thing can you
justify the effort of lifting or jacking.

So, once one of the larger roots are exposed you should continue
digging around that root until you are able to severe it completely by
whatever means necessary, axe or saw. Only then can you justify
moving on to another large root.

Then, only after several of the larger roots have been completely
severed can you justify attempting to get underneath the stump to lift
or jack it out. Yanking and pulling with a winch or come-a-long is OK
but only works well for smaller trees, those that are well rotted, or
those whose main lateral roots have already been severed.