Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Hiring a contractor - insurance issue

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:01:28 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I am currently negotiating a contract with a contractor who is highly
recommended by a friend. While we work out the terms of the contract I
had a clause in it that states:

"Contractor warrants it is adequately insured for injury to it's
employees, subcontractors and others incurring loss or injury as a result
of the acts of Contractor or it's employees and subcontractors."

He strikes out the line above and replaced it with:

"Laborers brought on site by Contractor are not insured by Contractor.
Additionally other Subcontractors brought on site are not insured by
Contractor."

Is this a disaster waiting to happen? I want to make sure he only use
subs that are properly insured for injury, and he is saying he does not
care.

Am I demanding too much? I don't think so. I don't want him to hire a
laborer off the street who then comes here and let a hammer fall on his
toe then turn around and sue me for $50,000.00 to cover his pain and
suffering.

Any suggestions?

MC

There is nothing wrong with your statement. Well maybe it could be better
worded. -

Move on and find someone who has insured subs and laborers.

This is a lawsuit looking for a place to happen.

Colbyt