Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Furnace Life

wrote:

On Apr 29, 11:03 am, "Buck Turgidson" wrote:

Don't know what vintage you are talking about, but I've never seen a
furnace with an exhaust blower that was only 60% efficient. Even a
run of the mill, cheap gas furnace has been 80% for decades. And
they have a lifespan of about 25 years.

http://hes.lbl.gov/hes/aceee/afue.html

I think the 25 year life span is maybe a little high but you also need
to check the heat exchanger for cracks which can send carbon monoxide
into your living space. The fact that you have had repairs in the
past and your efficentcy concerns make me think it is time for a new
one.

Doesn't the life span depend on where it is? Here in the deep south,
furnaces are only used a few days out of a year. I suspect they last
a lot longer.