Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Furnace Life

Buck Turgidson wrote:
Is there an average life that one can expect from a gas furnace? I
have a furnace that is at least 20 years old, and the exhaust motor
is making the same noise as the last time, when it needed
replacement. That was a few hundred dollars.

So, I am wondering if I should just replace the furnace with
something more efficient, rather than sink money into it. As I
understand it, furnaces of this vintage are only about 60% efficient.

I don't think I would put a lot of money into it. I would consider it
an opportunity to upgrade. You may or may not make the money back, but I
feel the current technology is good and I would not want to put good money
into a furnace that may be close to the end of it's life anyway.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit