Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 12V 3Amp monitor - can I use a 12V 4.5 Amp battery? Help please

On 29 Apr, 17:11, David D wrote:

There is one last issue. Is the monitor 12 real volts or 12 battery
volts? What are known as 12v batteries arent really 12v. This is fine
if the monitor is designed to run off car supplies, but if it needs a
12v regulated supply it might be unfine - or it might be ok. Would be
wisest to check first.

NT

How do I check? The monitor did not come with instructions and the
specs I am detailing are from the back of the monitor, so I cannot
really tell the voltage it needs. IS there a way to check this
reliably?

Thank you for the interest.

Simple way is to determine what it expects to run off, large wall
wart, stabilised psu or battery. One giveaway would be a dotted equals
sign, meaning rectified ac, which would mean it expects to see
unregulated supply, hence a battery would be fine.

____
(works in non-proportional font)

However there's no guarantee that there will be anything on it to tell
you one way or the other.

NT