Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Veatch Tom Veatch is offline

Default Leaving Air Compressor Full

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 17:16:20 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

That easy. Now try to explain where everything wrong in this thread came
from. C'mon, I dare ya!

Oops, no time for that now, I just remembered that my wife wants some
bookshelves built.

I will say in response to the OP, if I can remember what the OP asked,
that there is no structural reason to completely depressurize the tank
after each use, and there is a theoretical reason to leave the tank
pressurized. Deep cyclic loading, i.e., full pressurization followed
by complete depressurization, induces fatigue damage to the vessel. In
a well designed and constructed tank, that damage is insignificant at
the pressures shop compressors usually develop and can be ignored. On
the other hand, it does no harm to the tank to leave it pressurized.
Static loading doesn't cause metal fatigue. If you want to avoid
cycling due to minor leakage and long periods of disuse, simply turn
off the compressor when you're done.

Draining condensation is another matter. That should be done
regularly, either manually or with an auto drain valve, whether or not
the tank is left pressurized.

Now, I hear those bookshelves calling!