Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.house
victor victor is offline

Default Orange Water Stain - NOT Iron???

On Apr 26, 5:43 pm, Dottie wrote:
On Apr 22, 10:48 am, "hardwareman"
wrote:

I live in the south and in the south we have a lot of clay. I have seen
well water that is red from the clay. Could this be your problem?

a href="http://allamericangeneralstore.com"hardwareman/a

"Autumn" wrote in message

et...

We get an orange buildup in the edges of the shower curtain and along the
edges of the tub. Could these be this bacteria? We have a water softener
and without it hard water and rust stains form within a day if we run out
of salt.

We get a reddish stain in the bathroom. Sometimes it is along the top
of the water in the commode and other times it is where water was
standing in the shower, along the rim of the tub. I believe it is
related to mold/mildew and not rust stain. I am not sure what causes
it. I had never seen it happen before I moved to FL.

Okay, based on all the input here, I figured I'd install a filter and
see what happens. After getting an estimate of 65 bucks a month for an
iron removal system, it was nice to get a whole-house unit at Menards
on sale for twenty bucks. The one with the filter included was 25
bucks. Similar units at Home Depot and other places were around 30-50,
and the replacement filters were between 19 and 29. I checked all
around and could not find anything negative about the brand, "Omni".
Replacement filters at Menards were about three bucks for the standard
pleated paper and around 7-9 dollars for a pack of two activated
charcoal chemical and odor filters. I soldered the unit in after the
softener, thinking that the filters would last longer, and the
softener, being a rental, is maintained rather well.

No stains, no odor, no red, no rust in the toilets. And while I
haven't gotten around to replacing the valve/washers on the upstairs
shower faucets that leak a bit, there's no more residue from them,
either.

Thanks, all!

Mark