Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Poore Jim Poore is offline

Default Tried to recap a tube receiver, and failed.

Derwin wrote:
In article ,
says...

Flakey downright rude tinkerer IMHO.

More like tinkerer who doesn't suffer fools gladly. Considering I've been
cordial and thankful to those who have responded cordially and helpfully, why
should I patronize the jerks? As long as non-jerks respond, which they have,
anything posted by the jerk-squad is superfulous, and can be either ignored, or
ridiculed. Either way they're useless responses so it doesn't matter how or
if I reply to them. I've been using usenet for long enough to know that any
time I post to any group looking for information, half of the responses are
likely going to be from socially-deranged usenet-lifers. Socially-deranged
usenet-lifers are always in denial and don't realize that they are
socially-deranged usenet-lifers. Some of the time I think they even believe
they are offering helpful advice, because if they don't pepper their initial
reponses with insults they expect immense gratitude, even if what they said was
inapplicable or irrelevent.

I agree. I am a professional electronics tech for over 40 years and
nowhere in this newsgroup does it say its for professionals only. I
applaud those people who want to challenge themselves and tackle
something they haven't done before. I can say I have made many mistakes,
some rookie mistakes and some that I knew better but made them anyway.
My worst was resting my left arm on a metal TV cabinet with a mirror as
I was making an adjustment. I caught a stand-up resistor in the power
supply right off the rectifier tube with my right arm and almost ended
my life. Pretty dumb. But I am sure we have all made some mistakes like
solder bridges or cold solder, wrong values, etc.

Now...the absolute best advice I can give is that in a new venture that
one has not undertaken before is to ask FIRST in this newsgroup. I
myself would be more than happy to point someone in the right direction
before they start. Remember there are no stupid questions, only stupid
answers.

Jim