Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vista Vista is offline

Default New Gas Boiler and CH Maintenance (quote details)

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Vista writes:
Hi all.
My parent's house (4 beds) needs a new gas boiler. Quotes for this and
to "modernise" the heating system range from just over 3K-4K - seems a
lot of money.
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the way to proceed. Is
this a reasonable price? How do I watch for rip-offs etc? What *needs*
doing from a legal point of view?
My ideas are 1) scrap the gas completely and go all electric (is this
possible with a water-based radiator system? Is it feasible on the cost
front? Perhaps going with economy 7 for hot water (currently have a
lagged tank in the airing cupboard).

Start by giving much more detail of the current system.

Boiler make/model/size/age, condition of pipework, radiators
(do they look fine, or like they're all just about to rust
through?), do they have thermostatic radiator valves, is there
a room stat somewhere?

Also number of rooms, number of baths/showers and usage pattern,
normal number of house occupents. Does the existing system cope
(or did it when it was working properly)?
Why does it need a new boiler now?
Who did you get quotes from, and what do they include?

Boiler is a Ideal W RS 450 (Stellard Group).

Quote (EDF):
de-sludge
remove existing boiler, hot water tank, unnecessary piping, close flue hole
fit new boiler (Vaillant Ecomax PRO 18E + fan assisted vertical flue
each radiator to have new chromium Belmont Terrier Lockshield valve
new tank 117L pre-lagged copper indirect cylinder
21mm plastic condense pipe
install one Blackerloy anti-corrosive thermo 3kw immersion heater and
power supply
ACL LP 722 digital programmer
supply Grundfos 15-50 variable head pump (to new cylinder)
supply and fit RF2 24 hour wireless room thermostat
cylinder thermostat - to control temp of hot water (in conjunction with
hot water cylinder
Honeywell three port controlling motorised value
13 amp switched fuse spur adjacent to boiler
heating circuit to be reconnected (BSS 2871X copper) - pipework in in
cupboard areas to be lagged in climatube poly lagging
system filling with Sentinel x300 and cleaned, then Sentinel x100
inhibitor added. Refill system , balance and test
£3,600

Vista

Vista