Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default Screwgun Recommendation

"DanG" wrote in message
If you really like the Skil brand gun you have, try here for the part:
http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-bin/noframes.cgi/skil/6906_TYPE_2

That has every part of the gun EXCEPT the specialized tool holder. If I had
a metal lathe and carbide cutting tip I could turn down the shaft of a
DeWalt bit holder (http://www.grizzly.com/products/h4639) and make it work.
The problem is that the seal at the end of the drill portion is smaller than
a standard tool holder. Just above the hex shank I need the holder turned
down from about 0.450" to 0.370" for about 0.650", a simple operation IF I
had a metal lathe. I can find lots of bit holders that are the right
length, but they are too thick to fit in the gun.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
I have an old, but great condition Skil Screwgun model 6906. Great except
that the bit holder no longer holds the bit in place. Unfortunately Skil
no longer makes any screwgun and needless to say they do not have any
parts available for this screwgun. I am therefore looking for a new gun.
Harbor Freight's gun looks exactly like the DeWalt screwgun and at $39.99
is tempting to get with the 2 year extended warranty (I overheard some
pros talking about buying the HF roofing guns and extended warranty and
getting new ones all the time on HF). My other tempting option is a
Ridgid R6000 from Home Depot because when I register it I can get a
lifetime warranty (VERY tempting). Anybody have any experience with either
of these? Thanks.

Mike D.