Ed Sirett

Default GSH & HW. novice questions .pls help

BigWallop wrote:

Q11. I've just bought replacement sychron motor, but I can tell which
position the gear quandrant should be in when I mount the motor in

position.
All I can tell is when the motor is hanging loose and I switch W+H, then
motor activates without stopping.

A synchron motor, as with any standard motor, will continue to turn when
energised until told to stop by some kind of switching system. The small
micro-switch in the motorised valve is such a system.

With the plain 2 port valve the motor simply winds the valve open and
the valve is not able to turn any further so the motor stops - crude but
generally very reliable.

Q13 My control/timer unit is a randall 103E . I can unscrew the bottom

plate
but how the hell does the face plate come off so I can see the wiring ?

Usually the timer/programmer seperates from the back plate by loosening, not
removing, screws from the bottom or top of the unit. When loosened the face
place lifts to 45 degree angle away from the screws and then lifts off
completely when freed from moulded lugs on the back plate.

the bottom plate in this type (big rotarty thing with blue and red tags
and a wheel in the top right corner) is removed this allows the whole
unit to be slid upwards off the back plate.

Have a look at the sites I offered and then try to trace the pipes in your
system to where they match and where they differ. Make some drawings or
notes on the things you discover that are different and then get back to us
with a description and we'll try help you through what the differences are.

Good advice.
The FAQ is intended to take over where the basic diy manuals start
saying 'leave this to the professionals'.
The FAQ is not a primer on heating systems.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk