Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How do I undercut a stone fireplace?

"Walter R." wrote in message
.. .
Thanks, Ed

Would a 4" diamond blade reduce the dust and cut a thin slice? Can I
reduce the dust and enhance the cutting action by having my wife cover the
area with a water mist/spray?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2v2uo84

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"Walter R." wrote in message
For a neat installation and in order to provide for some expansion, I
will need to undercut the fireplace hearth by 1/2" so that I can slip
the ends of the planks under the stones.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=48zmrsh

I have a 4" electric grinder. Will that be suitable for cutting a 1/2"
undercut into the rocks? What kind of blade(s) should I use? I bet this
is going to be a very dusty affair!?

You cannot imagine the amount of dust. Considering the location, the
entire amount of material removed is probably going to be made into dust
rather than cut out. You need an abrasive blade. Just get one because by
the time you cut a few inches, you'll probably see it is a bad, messy,
idea. Butt he wood and come up with a trim strip of some sort.

Agreed. If this is a floating floor, or if you expect it to expand and
contract that much, put a kerf in the trim strip so it rides over the
flooring, with a bullnose on top to avoid splinters. Scribe the fireplace
side to match the stonework. Having a trim strip 1/4" taller than floor will
barely be noticable. Trying to put a kerf in the existing stone is just
asking for trouble.

aem sends....