Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Veneering.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I have a spare set of woodwork (trim) for my car I'd like to re-do. It's
veneered in IIRC walnut, and I'd rather like a custom job like say maple.
The door parts are fairly simple being flat, while the dash ones have a
curve in one direction only. How easy a job is it and can anyone recommend
a site to read up on it? I've found a couple with rather conflicting
advice.

Its easy enough to do it ..if you can clamp and get a good match between
the veneer and the dash.

I'd be inclined to make a female mould - doesn't have to be perfect - by
wrapping the dash in clingfilm and e.g. pressing down into a bit of wet
cement.

Then take the new veneer and soak it to hell in water and ammonia.

Put it in the female mould and push the dash down onto it and leave for
a few days to dry.

Then remove the dash and the clingfilm, coat it with PVA and whack it
down on the veneer..and leave for a day clamped up (use scrap
bibles/Qurans etc etc. to weight).

Any edges hat show signs of lifting can be tacked down with CA.