Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default How do I undercut a stone fireplace?

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 16:59:27 -0700, "Walter R."
wrote:

I am putting wood planking in my living room. Some of the planks will butt
against the fireplace hearth, which consists of petrified wood set in

You have gone to all this trouble to get petrified wood and you're
going to grind parts of it away. What if something happens like a
chunk of it from the top half inch breaks off. It seems to me that
could happen with anything, during the grinding or later, (and
especially with petrified wood which might not have been a perfect log
before it petrified. My firewood has cracks in it, some cracks with
air in them, and others that don't appear to be cracks, but I know one
piece of wood is not attached to the wood next to it.)

Why not get a profile gauge, or whatever it's called, the thing with
the big set of parallel pins in a clamp, and trim the fresh wood to
match the petrifed wood. If it doesn't come out right, you can get
another plank. If " butt against" mean it is the ends that abut, you
can just cut a couple inches off the plank and start again.

FTR, I've not worked with petrified wood (I'd be too scared) and I've
never used my pin thing, even though I have one, and I've never done a
floor. Just consider my post a suggestion. (I'm watching "24" and it
makes me more assertive. Well, actually more violent, but all I have
is my keyboard.)

mortar. The area where the stones meet the concrete pad is very irregular
due to the irregular shaped stones. The floor is a concrete pad.

For a neat installation and in order to provide for some expansion, I will
need to undercut the fireplace hearth by 1/2" so that I can slip the ends of
the planks under the stones.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=48zmrsh

I have a 4" electric grinder. Will that be suitable for cutting a 1/2"
undercut into the rocks? What kind of blade(s) should I use? I bet this is
going to be a very dusty affair!?

Any advice appreciated

--
Walter