Posted to alt.home.repair
\Fat Tony\ D'Amico \Fat Tony\ D'Amico is offline

Default 75w bulb in 60w socket?

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Newsgroup wrote:
sammy wrote:

is there
any danger in my using 75w bulbs instead of the 60w bulbs?

no

Wrong.

You've obviously never seen the damage to fixture wiring that can and does
occur from prolonged use of bulbs that are too hot. There is indeed a danger
from using 75w bulbs in a fixture rated for 60w. The danger is that the excess
heat can damage the insulation on the fixture wires, and cause it to become
brittle and flake off, exposing the bare conductors. This leads to a potential
risk of a hot-to-neutral arc, and a fire.

That may be true, but enough tolerance is built in to handle that
slight heat difference. I actually should not have said to stray from
the manufacturers recommendations. My error in retrospect.