Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Matti Matti is offline

Default Sony VCR SLV-E20 PAL: no colors

This vcr is from 1994. Picture is good and crisp with SCART cable, and
nearly as good with antenna cable, but no colors. Only b/w.
Tried also with other cables and other TV, no difference.

This is an easy one. It WONT work with American televisions the color
frequencies are different in PAL systems than they are in NTSC systems.

Oooops I may have spoke too soon. I didnt realize that your email was
from Finland. If you are using an NTSC television then ther will not be
color. If you are using a PAL television then its possible that there is
a switch setting inside the vcr that switches from PAL to NTSC.

Thank you.
The VCR and TV are PAL and they have worked together earlier. The VCR was
disconnected and out of use for several months. Now when I tried to use it
again, the colors were gone.