Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Derwin Derwin is offline

Default Tried to recap a tube receiver, and failed.

In article , says...

My guess is that it is a heater-cathode short in one of the audio tubes.
My reasoning is that when a tube is cold the elements are not shorting
but after some thermal expansion they may short out. Why it is doing it
now but not before could be from turning the chassis upside/down and
having a piece of crap in side the tube in question move to a sensitive
area.

Electrolytics if leaky will hum first and then play which is the
opposite of what is happening.

Personally, I would change ALL the caps at least in the ausio section
including the power supply electrolytics.

Hope this may shed some light for you.

The first two paragraphs were helpful, but I certainly don't understand why you
would recommend replacing caps I just replaced. Checking to see if one of the
new caps I installed is bad is one thing, but replacing all the new caps I just
installed with another set of new caps sounds like an excersize in throwing
money down the toilet and nothing else.