Gary Coffman

Default 5 hp 3 phase motor to a 3/4 hp single phase..?

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:57:06 -0800, "Paul" wrote:
Anyhownext in
line I've got to connect this to a pony 3/4 horse single phase motor that I have...
to use as a starter. Any ideas? The 5 hp motor has a 1 1/8" spindle and the
other has a 5/8" spindle. I think I might try to make a sleeve to attach them end
to end.
Other than that pulleys perhaps? But that might take up a bunch of room.
Anyhow that's where I'm at.

I wouldn't bother with a pony for a 5 hp converter. Just capacitor start it.
Using a pony starts making sense when you get up into the large converter
range, to reduce starting surge, but for a little 5 hp, capacitor starting is
fine.

Gary