Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Derwin Derwin is offline

Default Tried to recap a tube receiver, and failed.

In article ,
l says...

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 04:43:11 +0000, Derwin wrote:

In article 5HzYh.5314$Dq6.1620@edtnps82,
says...

"Derwin" wrote in message

I tried to re-cap a tube receiver (amplifier + tuner), and now when I turn
it
on it starts playing music for a few seconds after it warms up, then the
music
fades out and and hum takes over. I don't really know what I'm doing, and
the
wiring inside looks like a mess of spaghetti. I'm pretty sure I replaced
the
caps properly, but I used .068uf WIMA caps to replace .050uf wax/paper
caps,
and I'm wondering if the value difference, added up over 8 caps would make
difference?

No.

That's not what I've read. Are you sure you're not thinking of

electrolytics?

Other than that, does anyone have any advice based on my
description of the unit's behavior? Any comments whatsoever might be
helpful..

At this point you need to fault find. Does it work OK with tape or other
music input?

Perhaps I should have specified that the unit worked fine before I recapped

it.
It had a bit of a squishy sound so I figured it could use a re-capping but

must've screwed up somehow. But re-capping is pretty straight-forward, and

think I did it right. So now, what could have gone wrong? Switching inputs

is
not going to help me track down the problem at all. C'mon, I may be a
'self-taught' novice electronics tinkerer, but that is downright stupid - I
already said the music plays fine for a few seconds after it warms up then

it
fades out, so obviously its not a problem of a flakey input.. sheesh.

How the hell is anyone on the other end of the internet going to know what
the hell you "screwed up somehow"? That's absolutely absurd. Toss the
****er in the trash you idiot.

Only a moron like you would do something like that. There's always at least
one or two people on each newsgroup with no life who spend all day every day
saying stupid things to anyone who happens to post looking for information.
I bet you even think you're unique. I've been swatting usenet flies like you
for the past 15 years, ever since the internet went commercial and twits like
you found out you couldn't be kicked off usenet so you set up camp here in
droves...

Retards and the socially inept should be smiling and happy, not scowling
meanies. Why don't you try riding a public bus while farting and giggling?
Seems to cheer up most of the retards in my neighborhood.