Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary Slusser Gary Slusser is offline

Default Water softener problem

On Apr 28, 11:03 am, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 04:28:34 -0600, "Bob"
wrote:

I haven't had a chance to look at this problem yet but thought I'd see if
there are any experts that can tell me what to look for. I am constantly
amazed at the varied experience displayed here so that is why I'm asking for
advance advice.

Water softener consists of two units. A salt water storage tank, appears to
be around 30 gallons. This is connected to the main unit via a small hose.
The main unit is a cylinder about 8 inches in diameter and about 3.5 to 4
feet high. On top is a mechanism I have heard referred to as a "head". It
has a couple controls for setting time and setting for amount of salt
required.

The problem: There is a small (about two inches in diameter) motor that
apparently runs the clock and I assume the mechanism of valves for
back-flushing. This motor is running very hot and humming. Being in a
hurry, I unplugged the softener and left.

I know I haven't given a very good description here but does some expert
recognize the unit, and is able to suggest a source for a motor replacement,
which I assume it the problem?

Thanks in advance. Bob-tx

Not an expert, but this sounds like the "timer motor". I have replaced
one in a softener and it's not difficult. Google the model
number/brand for a source.
--
Oren

The brand of control valve (head) would help. You might see your valve
he
http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/softeners/ Once you know the
brand and model, the problem may not be the motor.

Gary
Quality Water Associates