Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hiring a contractor - insurance issue

In article ,
says...
Just to be careful, you should also take the two minutes it takes to
call the agency listed on the certificate and verify that coverage us
current.

No. You don't know what a "certificate of insurance" is and how it works.

I know a bit about them, since I issue them.

It obviously would not certify *anything* if it could be cancelled without
your knowledge.

If it has in fact been issued by the carrier, then the carrier will
attempt to provide notice if it is cancelled.

If the carrier knows nothing about the certificate because it was
doctored up by the contractor's teenage son, then you will never receive
a cancellation notice because the coverage never existed to begin with.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/