Posted to alt.home.repair
J.A. Michel J.A. Michel is offline

Default Solid Pour Foundation

"Charles Pisano" wrote in message
The vacation home I purchased in Aug. of last year has 2 cracks (not
huge in width- but they go through the wall all the way and run almost
the entire length) in a vertical foundation wall. They happen to be the
wall that faces the upslope of the hill I live on.

There are also some cracks in the garage floor area. I was told I might
get 'those'. But I don't believe there should be cracks in a solid pour
foundation wall this (very) early on. Should there be? Also what causes
this to happen in new construction.?

And I guess If there shouldn't be any cracks , what could the builder do
that would remedy the situation to the point of making me whole again.
Also, the home comes with a 10 year warranty, so anything MAJOR after
Aug. is covered.

But (for now) I'm still under him for claims.

TIA
CP

The only warranty you get with concrete is that it WILL crack. I am the
owner of a new solid pour foundation also, and it has more than 2 cracks in
it. I'm not worrying about the cracks in my foundation. Just keep an eye
on them, measure, take pictures and see if they get bigger. Things will
tend to settle and shift a bit that may cause some minor cracking. I would
not worry about it unless the cracks open up and get big.