Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Hiring a contractor - insurance issue

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 17:23:32 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

wrote in message
t.net...
In article .com,
says...

Agreed. Even if the contractor accepted the original clause, it
ain't worth much. Suppose it turns out
he doesn't actually have insurance after someone has a $50K
accident? Then what? When
you're sued are you gonna the sue him and chase him down? Many of
these guys are judgement proof. But
the injured worker knows where your house is.

You want proof in the form of an insurance certificate.

Just to be careful, you should also take the two minutes it takes to
call the agency listed on the certificate and verify that coverage us
current. Some crooked contractors play the game of doctoring past
insurance certificates for new jobs, not hard to do with today's
scanners and software.

Speak to their insurance agent and confirm that the coverage is in place
for your specific job.

Thanks. I will do that.

MC

Reminds me (DIY) check your home owner's insurance.

Our state has a web site to check contractors.

Crooks have been chasing disasters in Florida for many years and they
travel light, taking money and running. Even building inspectors were
on the take and indicted after Andrew.

--
Oren