Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bill Jeffrey Bill Jeffrey is offline

Default Tried to recap a tube receiver, and failed.

Derwin wrote:
I tried to re-cap a tube receiver (amplifier + tuner), and now when I turn it
on it starts playing music for a few seconds after it warms up, then the music
fades out and and hum takes over. I don't really know what I'm doing, and the
wiring inside looks like a mess of spaghetti. I'm pretty sure I replaced the
caps properly, but I used .068uf WIMA caps to replace .050uf wax/paper caps,
and I'm wondering if the value difference, added up over 8 caps would make a
difference? Other than that, does anyone have any advice based on my
description of the unit's behavior? Any comments whatsoever might be helpful..

Sounds like you got an electrolytic cap in backward. They are polarity
sensitive.

Bill