Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh William R. Walsh is offline

Default Tried to recap a tube receiver, and failed.

Hi!

Perhaps I should have specified that the unit worked fine before
I recapped it. It had a bit of a squishy sound so I figured it could
use a re-capping but I must've screwed up somehow.

Perhaps you have a new capacitor that is bad? It is unlikely but *does*
happen. A check would be worthwhile and won't take too long.

So now, what could have gone wrong?

There could be a bad cap, or another component that failed. You will have to
do some testing of the unit.

Switching inputs is not going to help me track down the problem at all.

Yes it can. If you still don't agree, stop and think about the the
construction of most audio amplifying equipment. Many power
amplifier/receiver units have multiple inputs that may be selected. All of
them lead to the same place, but before they are merged, each one is a
separate circuit...and a fault could develop in the circuitry that is unique
to each input. If you haven't tried this idea, hook up your audio source to
another compatible input. For example, if you're using a tuner as an audio
source, you could hook it to any of the tuner connector, tape connector or
even the AUX connector. On most equipment they all use similar signal levels
and characteristics.

Please take the suggestions you receive seriously. No one here can see your
workbench or know some of the things you know about the equipment you're
working on. For that reason, we *have* to cover the basics in an effort to
get on the same page that you are on.

William