Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Dodd Mike Dodd is offline

Default DIY aircon

monopix wrote:
Looking for information/recommendations for diy split aircon units.

I've looked at several web sites and it's obvious that some are more 'diy'
than others, despite what the seller claims. So, anyone fitted one who could
give me some advice?

Thanks

Peter

Will second some of the advice already given - having installed the
Airforce 9000BTU split unit / DIY install / pre-pressurised system.

In fact, right now it's chilling my nipples off whilst I sit in an 8'x6'
room with two gaming-spec computers heating the place up.

Some points to note:

The airforce units have only a 4m "hose" connecting the indoor to the
outdoor unit, which means for a 1st-floor location, you need to:-
(a) bolt it onto the side of the house
(a.1) fight the neighbours, and the estate management, until...
(a.2) take the unit down
(b) buy the 2m extension "hose" from B&Q
(b.1) get told by store staff that they can order for you, but it'd be
quicker to do it yourself (sic) on the website
(b.2) wait for the 4-week delivery
(b.2) phone up, get told that it'll be delivered tomorrow
(b.3) phone up, get told it'll be next week
(b.4) phone up, get told that they tried to deliver, no-one home (********)
(b.5) phone up, get told another 4 weeks
(b.6) phone up, get told another 2 weeks
(b.7) phone up, sure, another week
(b.8) take delivery. Vow NEVER EVER to order from their website again,
at least in store you can have an argument on a Saturday morning.