Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Insulation of inside walls

On Apr 27, 11:16 pm, Rick Blaine wrote:
Leeh wrote:
I am purchasing a new house (2400 sq ft, 4 bed rooms) in San Diego.
The builder asked me if I want the inside walls insulated just like
the outside. They mentioned two benefits: noise reduction and better
insulation(windows in one room could open).

I see the noise benefit, but can't begin to understand the "windows in
one room could open" concept. Why would you ever want windows open
in only one room to acheive such a temp diff that insulation from the
rest of the house makes sense? Or one room to be of such a diff
temp than the next that insulation in the walls would be of material
benefit?

I would look at it as being of some benefit in reducing noise between
adjacent rooms. And in that case, there are only certain walls/floors
that you would really want it in, like adjoining bedrooms. For the
price, assuming it goes where it's gonna do some good, it sounds like
it could be worth it.

The cost is $1250.
I like a quite house and this seems like a good option to have. But I
don't want to waste money if the benefit is minimum. Any suggstions?

It's a standard feature in the higher end homes around here on what they call
"sound walls". Those are walls with water pipes or between bedrooms. Also
between floors near the bedrooms.

I wasn't real impressed as the insulation they use on sound walls is R-11 -
hardly worth the effort. I did pay for blown damp cellolose on the sound walls
though. That's dense enough to really work.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars