Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob M. Bob M. is offline

Default roof question

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I live in NYC and I am considering a new shingle roof over the
existing roof. The current roof is the original and is 15 years old
made of composite shingle (contractor grade 20 year life). The roof is
2,400 square feet and has a 6/12 pitch, nothing fancy. The roof is in
just ok shape, but it's getting old fast.

It's a bad idea to reroof over the old stuff. It's just delaying the
inevitable expense, that's all. It also helps in trapping heat in the
attic, and the new shingles won't lay down properly.

Do it right - pay the $ to have the old shingles taken off. I wish the
previous owner did the same at my house - at the ridge, there's 1.5" of
shingles, which is 2 or 3 layers. The local roof guy estimated 11,000 pounds
of shingles & tar paper on the roof, and that it will cost more to remove
that than to install new shingles.