Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Hiring a contractor - insurance issue

wrote:
In article ,
says...

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"Laborers brought on site by Contractor are not insured by Contractor.
Additionally other Subcontractors brought on site are not insured by
Contractor."

Is this a disaster waiting to happen? I want to make sure he only use
subs that are properly insured for injury, and he is saying he does not
care.

Am I demanding too much? I don't think so.

If they are independent contractors themselves, he does not have to cover
them. He only has to cover his employees.

This is true, but the homeowner can be liable for injuries to the subs
if they are injured and do not have worker's comp insurance.

If the GC does not provide the worker's comp for the subs, he should at
the very least be required to obtain proof of their insurance before
allowing them on the jobsite.

Hmmm,
Here in Canada there is Work Mens compensation board run insurance.
Every employer/employee are covered for minimal annual premium depending
on job classification. If home owner wants extra coverage for
unexpected accdent, he can buy a coverage for the duration of a job for
nominal premium. If a contractor does not have WCB coverage, very seldom
he can work on anything. I think most accident occurs on roofing jobs.