Posted to alt.home.repair
xPosTech xPosTech is offline

Default Reversing Attic Fan Motor Direction Possible?

On 4/9/2007 8:39 PM, Joe wrote:
I am replacing the old attic fan motor with a slightly less used one
from another house. The motor is a a two speed motor, but this house
is only a one speed wiring and switch.
After installing it, using only the high speed terminal, the fan is
going in the wrong direction. I tried reversing the wires in the box
to see if that'd reverse the direction but no joy.
Does this indicate that this motor cannot reverse direction?

If it has a capacitor to start/run then yes it can be reversed. But you
have to know what you are doing. Find an electrician/AC friend to do it
for you, or take the motor to a rebuilding service. They should do it
for a coupla bucks. It only involves moving a spade lug over.

--
Ted
I wasn't born in Texas but

If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great
disappointments.