Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Sage Advice

Prometheus
I am using a variation on the 3M sanding/grinding system that sounds very
much like what you are using in the die grinder. The holders and sanding
disks and grinding pads are rated for 20,000 rpm at least, maybe more as I
recollect. I use a velcro pad system that I adapted. I am sure it would fit
the die grinder but I am not sure how well the Velcro would hold up to the
high heat of the die grinder rpm. The link for the system is
http://aroundthewoods.com/sanding.shtml
---
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS
http://aroundthewoods.com
http://roundopinions.blogspot.com

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On 27 Apr 2007 08:44:26 -0700, robo hippy
wrote:

The variation of that saying that I heard was "use the sandpaper like
some one else was buying it". As far as the best sanding discs that I
have found, the ones from www.VincesWoodNWonders.com. They are on a
plastic film, and have the most consistant grain of anything I have
used. They also outlast anything else that I have ever used about 2 to
1. No affiliation other than a happy customer.

I've been using an ummm.... "Mini pistol grip pneumatic sander" (also
known as a right-angle die grinder to the rest of the world) for
power carving for a while now. I have been using the quick-lock
discs, but for close to $.50 each, they're quite an investment every
time I have to buy another box of them. They last long enough that
it's not putting me into the poorhouse, but they're still just a
little pricey.

The reason I mention this is because this velcro stuff is a whole lot
less expensive, and the sander he's selling appears to be a
standard-issue die grinder. Since I've already got two of them, I'm
wondering if you think they'd fit a standard 1/4" collet. Normally,
I'd assume that was the case, but the shanks look pretty thin in the
pictures.