Posted to rec.woodworking
Ken McIsaac Ken McIsaac is offline

Default Leaving Air Compressor Full

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 17:23:49 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message
Buck Turgidson wrote:

I have a CH 4 gallon twin tank. I never leave it full and usually run the
tool until the tanks are almost empty, then open the drain and allow the
low pressure to blow whatever water is there out.

Why do you drain under low pressure?

I am not willshak, but I have observed (I have a Porter-Cable pancake
style compressor) that if I just open the drain valve when the tank is
pressurized, very little water comes out, even if I am holding the
tank so the valve is the lowest point.

It is only after the air has almost entirely bled out of the tank
(down around 30psi or so) that the bulk of the water is blown out. I
am not able to explain this observation, but it seems to always happen
that way.

I did leave it full once over a two week period because I was feeling
lazy and doing a lot of trim carpentry. The water that came out after
the two weeks was a nasty brown colour that convinced me the rust
warning was to be taken seriously. I now drain it at the end of every
day's work.

- Ken